Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The Time of my Life

I'm excited, no, ecstatic. I'm tired, no, exhausted. Stacey and I are upstate in Clifton Park, NY, at Erik and Dani's house. Only they're not here with us. They are at Albany Medical Center, fourteen miles south, keeping company to their new little boy. He, Ethan James Lundberg, became part of their family this morning at 7:48. Ethan tried to come out of Danielle the natural way, but that wasn't to be. So after an all day and all night attempt at labor, Ethan departed the womb via a c-section and that beautiful new boy was born! He weighed six pounds and four ounces and measured 18 inches long. His pate is covered with lots of brown hair and, so far, his eyes seem to be a deep blue.

We drove up to their home yesterday (Monday) knowing that the birth was imminent because Dani's labor was to be induced beginning Monday (in her 37th week) and would be completed either late that day or sometime Tuesday. Our job was to feed and walk the two dogs who had been left behind. Then we sat and waited. I had finally gone to sleep at midnight and was sleeping for one hour when the call came -- Dani was going in for surgery. But when we sleepily got to the hospital an hour or so later, we learned that it had been a false alarm -- labor was proceeding normally again. A couple of hours later (around 4:00 am) we headed back to the house again and to sleep.


We were wakened at nine on Tuesday morning with the news of the new baby boy's arrival and that he had been delivered via a c-section. Off to the hospital again, where we spent the day ogling and cooing at, and holding and rocking, our new grandson. It had been a very long night and day - but one we'll never forget and now life goes on, a new stage having been entered: our little girl is now a mother and Stacey and I, new grandparents. May our grandson grow up in a world of peace and plenty. May we all work to that end.

Grandma Stacey holds her new grandson. He's five hours old!

Here's mom with her new son.

Stacey looks on as Dani enjoys her new baby boy.

A little kiss on the keppy for baby boy Ethan.

That's daddy changing his baby's diaper. He's a fast learner!

Here's mom and baby....he's 11 hours old here.

Is this a proud grandpa or what??!!

Ethan with eyes wide open. He's very alert and is checking out his new surroundings.

Ethan being held by the new guy in his life -- his dad!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peter and I just looked at all of the photos and are amazed at how much hair Ethan has and his beautiful and very alert blue eyes! He looks precious and adorable and we send lots of love and good wishes to Mom and Dad. Please give Dani a hug and kiss from both of us.
love,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Yes, nothing like a new grandson/grandaughter. He is such a beautiful boy. I know you will all enjoy him and yes, may he grow up in a gentler, more compassionate world. It is truly a special gift to see your children give borth to their children. What a trip!
Uncle Lee

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! He's beautiful as are you all. We are so happy to welcome Ethan to the world. Love to mom and dad and bubbie and zayda. Love, Rach and Ollie

Anonymous said...

He's soooo gorgeous! I am so happy for all of you, what an exciting time in your lives!

Love, Jess

Anonymous said...

Mazel tuv! Merry and I are thrilled for you all.. I think back to the first time I held Noah and Adam; the bond and the love felt. I was taken aback. I's wonderful!
I hope we will get a chance to meet Ethan soon.
love,
Fred & Merry

Anonymous said...

Bravo .. OH ! if I understand with our little ZOE here , new born as well , something I share greatly with you both grand parents .. I congratulate YOU all with Joy ... and best wishes , yes Mazel Tov! blessings !
The blog and photos and thoughts are great Matt! and it goes directly to my heart ..Our kids will be wonderful parents .. LOVE ,Micky