Before I get to the answer, some background.
Peter and Lori went to Buenos Aires last year for their honeymoon and fell in love with that very European capitol of Argentina. So for Peter's birthday this year, Lori, an extraordinary event organizer, planned a small surprise party at a restaurant in New York -- Industria Argentina, in Tribeca on Greenwich Street. The dinner would bring back memories of their wonderful voyage to Latin America a year ago. Located in of those dramatic New York City "spaces," the restaurant specializes in grilled meats which are the foundations of that national cuisine. The menu is rounded out with appetizers: some interesting salads but most of us ordered empanadas (little turnovers with flaky crusts and stuffed with spicy meat or cheese).
We arrived at 7:15 to find Peter's life-long friend, Murray, seated at the bar. Shortly after, Lori's friend, Bobbi, arrived. The four of us ordered drinks and awaited the arrival of Lori and Peter who were at a movie.

Sightings of a 65 year old man -- the paparazzi were there to record the momentous event.

Speak no evil. See no evil.

A few more of those Argentinian drinks and Murray slipped under the table.
We passed the time and asked the maitre d' to guide the victim of our surprise to a different table than ours. The restaurant was dark so we figured Peter would not pick us out. As he began to sit down he glanced our way and a look of surprise filled his face. This quickly turned into a classic Peter Press smile which says - "OK you got me. But I might have a few tricks for you."

Surprised? Who's surprised? I hate surprises! I'm not surprised. You can't surprise me. No one can put a surprise over on me. OK! I'm surprised.
Dinner was great. Between the fabulous skirt steak, lamb chops, Chilean Sea Bass (from Argentina?), a delicious bottle of Malbec wine, wonderful desserts and great conversation the evening went fast.
Before the food came though, Peter opened some of his birthday gifts. But Lori had left the best for last. She had designed a series of sophisticated, but cute, packages and "mini-gifts" that had hidden meanings and that were building up to the greatest gift of all. First a little box of "tip money," filled with some Argentinian bills and coins (left over from the last trip, I supposed.) Next, a Lori-designed gift certificate to a Buenos Aires restaurant that had been a favorite haunt of theirs last year. And then, the greatest gift of all - a multi-paged itinerary that she had designed and printed of their impending trip (to be taken the very next week) to Buenos Aires. Well, you could have knocked the guy over with a feather.

Look what I got for you Pete.

I got Pete a monkey ... with very long legs.

We were having a grand old time, weren't we?

Lori and Peter like to surround themslves with the "beautiful people."

Bobbi and Murray - jambon-ing it up.

Here's to you my love.

No, no, no. I am not worthy.

Umm, er, what's the meaning of this?

Guess where we're going!

Two good old friends. It is just friendship, right guys?

It was a great evening. And Peter certainly looks very, very happy. Come to think of it,so does Lori. Buen viaje a Buenos Aires!
5 comments:
This Murray guy... the one with the monkey on his lap... does he live in NYC?
If he does. I would like to get in touch with him,
with an objective of Monkey Business.
Isn't her name spelled Zooey Deschanel? Um, yeah. Who is she trying to kid?
You mean her?:
http://www.fedge.net/~zdeschanel/
I'm not her. We just have very similar names.
I'm a 61 year old Medodist Minister from
Abbotsford Wisonsin who has gotten tired
of the Ministry and looking for a good time.
So you gonna fork-over his email address?
Zooey,
Thanks, but no thanks...
To whom you refer to as a "Monkey" is my date,
Ruby Blanchard... and we are affianced to be
married.
So that's that!
I think that Murray has indicated that Zooey has apparently selected the wrong Channel.
Post a Comment