Stacey and I rode our bikes, via a lovely forested bike path, eight miles into town for lunch at the Seafood Shanty, a restaurant with deck overlooking beautiful Edgartown harbor.
Our bike trip to Edgartown via the bike path running through the state forest. The yellow push pin is our house and the green arrow, Edgartown. Click for a more versatile Google map.Edgartown has wonderful old homes -- elegant and classic. We didn't spend much time this year looking around...so not so many pictures of the town's beautiful homes. But if you're visitng, this town is worth a several-hour walking tour to discover its beauty and charm.
We walked the town a bit, poking around the shops and I got an ice cream from a shop where the young girl was from Poltava in the Ukraine. I asked her if she knew the town where my dad's parents came from, Hadiach (pronounced Ga'-dyech in Ukrainian. And she did! The first time I've ever met anyone who heard of the place. After our walk we biked back home, retracing our route in.
An interesting note: On the entire island there is only one traffic light and even that one doesn't turn red and green. It simply blinks a warning to traffic approaching a crossroads in the middle of the island. Everyone refers to it as "the blinker."
Tomorrow - we visit the farmer's market and ride up-island to Gay Head for some beautiful ocean views.
1 comment:
Looks like you're having a great time. WIsh we could have a vacation like that! Enjoy! I love you.
Post a Comment