Friday, July 08, 2005

Martha's Vineyard Redux

Jul 8, 2005

I've lost count of the number of times I've been to Martha's Vineyard. But I haven't lost the sense of wonderment and appreciation that I felt the first time I disembarked from the ferry and discovered this island paradise off the southern coast of Cape Cod. That first time was probably 15 or 20 years ago, maybe more - I don't remember any longer. But I do know that, like destinations everywhere that been "discovered," it's so much more crowded now than it was then. And, since it's an island with a finite amount of geography, the feeling of crowdedness is quite evident.

Still, the very reason for the large number of visitors is the spectacular natural beauty that abounds here. And a protective and restrictive code that has prevented rampant development keeps large parts of the island wild and covered with pines, oak and scrubby flora. Wild and rambling roses are everywhere, clinging to stone and wood fence alike. The air is filled with their scent and the aroma of sea and pines trees. It's not for no reason that people want to return here again and again.

We came this time, as we have four times before, with our friends Stephanie and Al. Stef is Stacey's cousin; Al, Stef's husband.


This was our fifth trip to the Vineyard with Stef and Al ... here on the 11 am ferry on Saturday.


Heh? Whad ya say? Heh?

When we disembarked the ferry in the town of Vineyard Haven, we drove to the neighboring hamlet of Oak Bluffs for lunch at our usual place - Fish Bones, a little outdoor grill and bar on the pier.


Arriving - Vineyard Haven.


Stacey at our favorite lunch spot, Fish Bones in Oak Bluffs.


Stef & Al at Fish Bones.


The gals at Fish Bones. Who are those guys??


Our Cape Cod saltbox rental on Great Plains Road in West Tisbury.


At home on Great Plains Road.


Everyone sing! "Two cousins, on their way...."


Our bartender ... making us feel welcome the first night on the island.

It had been a long day. We left Stef and Al's house in Mahwah (where we spent the night) at 5:00 a.m. to make an 11 o'clock ferry. Then we lunched, drove to our rental house and unpacked and went out to shop for dinner which would be at "home", the better to relax and recuperate. A simple, and enjoyable, dinner of grilled vegetables and pork chops was the fitting coda to our first day on Martha's Vineyard.


Dinner was simple but delicious. Chef Stacey tends the barbie.


A beautiful sunset capped off our first day on the island.

No comments: